|Morgan House (1848)|
Morgan, a native of Wales, a carpenter, came to Cooksville about 1847, married Mary Jane Hoxie, and then built his home across from the Schoolhouse. His wife’s brothers, Benjamin and Isaac Hoxie, were also both talented carpenters and may have helped Morgan to build the simple Greek Revival style house.
Tom Morgan, true to his Welsh tradition, considered himself quite a musician, performing and directing the Village Choir, according to a local villager at the time. He was well-known for bringing his small foot-pumped melodeon to the Schoolhouse for the musical portion of church services and for other events in the school, which at the time was the only public venue for social events and entertainments for adults and children. (A little old melodeon, which may have belonged to Morgan, is also a part of the Cooksville collections.)
Thanks to Joe and Bobbie Bradley for their generous donation to the Historic Cooksville Trust and for helping to preserve and conserve Cooksville's history. Here are images of some of the books.
|The Fourth Reader - 1883- title page|
|Prayerful Praises - 1892 - song book cover|
|The School Bell - 1857- title page|
An Elementary Grammar - 1869 - cover
|The Song-Book of the School-Room - 1856 - title page|
|Progressive Exercises in English Composition - 1842 - title page|
* * * * *