The Archives and Collections of the historic Village of Cooksville in Rock County, Wisconsin, have grown over the years, and contributions continue to accumulate. The items date from the19th, 20th and 21st centuries, with a couple from earlier centuries before there was a Cooksville. (Previous blog news stories illustrated some of the items.)
The local Historic Cooksville Trust, Inc., now maintains the collection and is in the process of creating a permanent home for the contents---photographs, paintings, books, family histories, furniture, et cetera--- in the basement "parlor" of the historic Cooksville Congregational Church built in 1879.
This new home for the growing "Archives and Collections Center" was made possible by generous donations of funds which will make items more easily available to interested visitors to historic Cooksville.
Here are samples of the some of the photographs and documents:
Anna Belle Rice (1862-1915), seamstress, left, and mother Margaret Brown Rice (1844-1925) born in Scotland, in their Cooksville parlor.
|Flora Brown Wardel (or Warddell), with her kitchen stove, c.1900.|
|The Gilley brothers, who farmed east of the village, photo c.1880.|
Phoebe Porter (1861-1886), portrait, died in
Chicago after a cancer operation.
Good Templars Charter, Cooksville, 1894.
"Twelve Songs" by Carrie Jacobs Bond, 1902."The One Hundred and One Best Songs," 1915.
Electa Savage, children Paul and Avis, c.1880s.Mabel Woodbury (1868-1922).
Ralph Warner's parlor, in the "House Next Door," c.1930
Ralph Warner in his garden with four friends, c.1930.
designed in 1934 and commissioned by the
village's Newman farm family. Wright called
it a "Memorial to the Soil."
Never built, for reasons unknown.* * *
[Donations to the Cooksville Archives and
Collections are always welcome,
documents or dollars.
Thanks. Larry Reed (608) 873-5066.]
Post a Comment